Thursday, May 8, 2008

San Francisco and Frozen Yogurt


A friend of mine who lives in SF took me to her favorite "froyo" spot. I had to be forced to go in the place, as I'm not a fan of froyo. She dropped me off at the door of Jubili, in Hayes Valley with instructions to get her a "my original". I walked into Jubili with a confused look on my face and placed her order. It turns out 'my' is the size and 'original' is the flavor, a plain, tart yogurt. While I was waiting for her yogurt I spied some colorful and healthy looking toppings in the case. Previous to this occasion the only way I'd eat frozen yogurt was topped with plenty of chocolate caramel cups or any other chocolaty distraction from the yogurt taste. What really intrigued me at Jubili were the white chunks of mochi offered along with kiwi, mango, pineapple and other brightly colored fresh fruits. I ordered a peach mi (small) yogurt topped with mochi, pineapple and mango. Despite my original misgivings the yogurt was delicious! I found myself wanting to go back the next day. I had previously read Amy's post about tuttimelon in the Marina, and I was staying in the Marina so I decided to compare. Before I headed off to tuttimelon I checked out yelp and chow to see what people were saying about these two places. It turns out my choice of mango and mochi is one of the most popular combinations. Go figure. One suggestion I found on yelp was to add gasp! Captain Crunch cereal to said combination. Yes, the Captain Crunch that my mother refused to let me eat because it had BHT, yes, the Captain Crunch which has no part in a healthy diet. I threw caution to the wind and tried the green tea yogurt with mango, mochi and Captain Crunch at tuttimelon on Chestnut st. Oh my word!!!! The Captain Crunch added just the right amount of salty crunchy texture to the mix. It's the best.


My restaurant choices on this trip were limited by budgetary constraints. Of course, we ate at Yuzu's (a treat from my brother-in-law),where we had the fusion roll, (my favorite), great sashimi and a few other rolls which weren't tasty enough for me to remember this time. We also dined at Pasta Pomodoro (not fancy but very tasty and priced right) our faves are the cappelini pomodoro, the pumpkin ravioli with sage butter, fried sage leaves and amaretti. We also shared a verdure which has brussel sprouts and other veggies in olive oil and garlic. Isa was our one splurge and all the food was impecable. I love the Spicy Tuna Tartare and the scallops. We order them every time. Their creme brulee is the best I've had anywhere. We dined on Greens take-out which was nothing to write home about, although we ate on a bench facing the water. The setting was gorgeous. Of course after eating I had to peruse the Fort Mason Center Book Bay bookstore, which supports the Friends of the Library. It was my second visit in two days and I did not leave empty handed.We never made it to Golden Gate Park or do the Dipsea trail this time around. We'll be back in July and I hope to do that beautiful hike from Mill Valley to Stinsen Beach then. I'm in training for it now.





Two nights ago I made this very simple recipe of stuffed zucchini, made with feta, shitakes, organic ketchup and bread crumbs. It was delicious. I used ketchup because I didn't want to open a can of tomato sauce and not use it all up.

2 zucchini sliced lengthwise
4 fresh shitakes diced
3 tablespoons organic ketchup
1/2 cup water or broth
1/2 crumbled feta
1/2 cup bread crumbs
olive oil
Scoop out insides of zucchini with a melon baller, being careful not to make a hole in the bottom.
Place the scooped out zucchini in a saute pan with olive oil, water or broth, ketchup and shitakes.
Saute until zucchini flesh is tender.
Mash zucchini down with a fork or potato masher, add bread crumbs and feta.
Fill hollowed out zucchinis with the mixture.
Bake at 350° for ­20 minutes.

No comments: