Saturday, February 5, 2011

Healing Foods

After being stuck in bed for two days with a chest cold I am in need of tasty healing foods.  For the last two days I've been drinking gallons of  green tea and eating whatever could be thrown together easily. Today I felt well enough to prepare foods that will please my eye and my palate. My last persimmon of the season called out to me.  I spread a portion of it over buttered toast and mixed the remaining persimmon with greek yogurt, pomegranate perils, and ground flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I am eating this meal along with a cup of Earl Grey White tea from The Tao of Tea.
In order to send this cold packing for good I also concocted a ginger tea for colds. Here is the recipe, I hope this tea will heal my lingering cough.

Ginger Tea for Colds
Simmer  peeled and grated ginger from a 1 inch piece in 2 cups water for five minutes.
add 1/2 t cayenne and simmer 1 minute
add 2T lemon juice, 1-2 cloves garlic, mashed
Cool and strain and add honey to taste.

1 comment:

MiladyBowen said...

I will try that tea the next time someone around here is sick!