Tuesday, December 7, 2010

BBQ Pork Spareribs San Francisco Style

Saturday evening I had the pleasure of cooking dinner for some visitors from France. I love French food, but I did not want to compete with what they eat back home. Therefore, I decided to cook a completely American meal, but one that I could enjoy. My BBQ baby back ribs are succulent, fall-off-the-bone delicious, and easy to make as well. I decided to buy pork from a non-factory farm, as I believe in putting my money where my mouth is concerning supporting unhealthy farming practices. One of the wonderful advantages of living in San Francisco is the widespread availability of sustainably produced food. I purchased 3lbs of Duroc baby backs. Three pounds of sustainably produced ribs cost me as much as three racks from Costco, but as I said.... money where mouth is. One of the issues I have had in the past with BBQ sauces has been my inability to find a sauce without HFCS.  I went into Marina market and I was surprised and pleased to find no less than five brands of BBQ sauce with no HFCS.  How wonderful! I have made my own sauce in the past,but that is an all-day-affair. I chose 1849 BBQ sauce and Bulls-Eye, mixed them and poured the mixture over my two hour boiled ribs.  The result was succulent and lip-smacking  good. It is my understanding that the French like to eat with knife and fork. My French friend picked up his ribs and lifted them to his lips. I guess he enjoyed his American meal.. I did have to fess up to my guests that I did not make the sauce myself. They were surprised to find an American who cooked at all, but I still felt a bit lacking. I served the ribs with homemade coleslaw and baked potatoes with full fat real sour cream. It has been a long time since I've had real sour cream in the house and I must say clover non-organic sour cream was delicious.
I have already made Dorie's potato leek soup and I will post about it later in the week. Suffice it to say it has all been eaten by now. It's surprising how a few simple ingredients can have such good flavor.
Renée

No comments: