Monday, March 7, 2011

Heidi's Millet Muffins


I baked up a batch of Heidi Swanson's millet muffins.  They are so good  I must confess to eating three of them the day I made them. I tweaked the recipe a little.  I cut both the butter and honey in half without any loss of flavor. Here is the recipe link. I was able to enjoy  the butter I left out of the recipe by spreading it over the two halves of my toasted muffin and topped that with Happy Girl's organic strawberry lavender jam. I like to toast my muffins because when I was growing up in NYC I used to get toasted corn muffins in the snack bars found in the subway stations through which I traveled. Prepared in this way I get both nostalgia and enhanced eating pleasure.
I  have found my new favorite kitchen gadget, it cost me $1.09 and I found it at Ichiban Kan in Japantown.  It's a small handheld grater and I was able to use it to create the most beautiful grated carrots. 
I spent less than five minutes on this large bowlful.  I prepared david tanis' carrot and coriander salad with these lovely, not flat but rounded, fluffy, airy carrot threads. The salad was tasty the day I made it but so much better in quesadillas the following day. I grilled a sprouted wheat tortilla added the carrots, cayenne and manchego cheese.  It made a tasty evening snack.  

I have big plans for tomorrow's kitchen activity.  I am planning on another batch of millet muffins (fast and easy)along with espresso chip oatmeal cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  And I am hoping to create my own sourdough starter which I will name as soon as I know it will live and that I can be committed to its care.  I kept my last starter alive for several years. I would like to make whole wheat english muffins as soon as the starter is mature. I would also like to bake Dorrie Greenspan's savory cheese and chive bread, I am a bit behind on my French Fridays with Dorie

No comments: