Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Turnips on a Grey Day


Lately one the only activities I enjoy is cooking.  I am grateful to find high quality ingredients in my pantry when I work up the energy to walk into the kitchen to create. I don't have to leave the house to feed my senses and clear my head of the greyness. Just seeing the beautiful colors of these turnips is a healing. I cut them into crescent shaped quarters, sprinkled salt, kelp and olive oil over them, stirred them and dumped them onto a baking sheet and baked at 425.  The flavor was surprisingly good. There are a few fancier recipes for turnips to be found on the web, but this simple preparation satisfied me.  I also cooked up some Espresso Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar from the folks who brought us Veginomicon.       

The cookies have a deep flavor that only coffee can bring, as I usually do I used only whole wheat pastry flour and I added dried grated orange peel. There was no discernible difference in the cookies  from using flax seeds in place of egg. I am not vegan nor even vegetarian, neither do I have dietary restrictions.  That being said these cookies were fast to put together and the absence of raw egg meant I could safely lick the spoon.



It's so hard to keep cheery with the gloom both outside my window and out in the world in general. But cooking  brings the sunshine back into my thoughts for a while. 

No comments: